Thank you for your interest in working with the Great Books Summer Program. We are now accepting applications for Program Assistants at our programs at Amherst, Stanford, Chicago, Beijing, Oxford and Dublin for our 2018 season.
Program Assistant Job Description:
Every summer GBSP hires Program Assistants to work alongside our distinguished faculty and staff at each of our program locations. Our PA's are top college students with a passion for literature, mentoring, and a desire to help foster an intellectual community for middle and high school students. Program Assistants work with their assigned pods of 6-8 students, serving as resident advisors, academic mentors, and participating in other camp-wide roles during the summer.
Ideal candidates must be responsible, high-energy, compassionate, dedicated and flexible college students who have completed at least their freshman year of undergraduate studies. PA's must be personally reliable and team-oriented, as well as conscious of their responsibilities as role models for young people. A love of literature and intellectual discussion is important. Previous experience working at a summer program or with middle and/or high school students is a plus. All majors are welcome, though the position may have special appeal to literature and education students and recent graduates. Special interests such as music, art, writing, film, sports, debate, theater, etc. help enrich the program experience for students.
- Supervise and engage a group of 6-8 middle or high school aged students (supporting their intellectual and social growth, supervising their activities and exercising concern and care for their physical and emotional well-being).
- Stay upbeat, energetic and organized in a fast-paced environment.
- Lead discussions groups of students on a daily basis. Lead evening informal discussion with your pod and formal post-lecture discussion with larger groups of students.
- Assist Art Electives- Music, Theater, Visual Art, and Creative Writing- which are taught by our elective faculty. Art Electives culminate in a final showcase performance.
- Lead students in informal break activities such as touch football, swimming, hikes and games during the free time slot.
- Work closely with program faculty to create an exciting, welcoming and fun learning environment.
- Write personal, eloquent, and punctual evaluation letters for each of your campers at the end of the week. These letters are addressed to your campers’ families, and may even be included in their college resumes.
- Attend orientation training at the start of the camp session.
*PA's are given one day off per session but will be expected to assist with weekend duties and excursions.
Tentative Session Dates & Locations:
Stanford University: June 24 - July 21; Orientation- June 21, 10:00AM
Amherst College: June 24 – July 28; Orientation- June 20, 10:00AM
University of Chicago: July 8-July 21; Orientation- July 6, 10:00AM
Somerville College, Oxford University: July 15-July 28; Orientation- July 14, 10:00AM
Trinity College in Dublin: July 29-August 4; Orientation- July 29th
How to Apply:
Our online application is now active. Please complete the application and provide three letters of reference, as well as an official or unofficial transcript. Our staffing is done on a rolling basis until all positions are filled. While there is no application deadline, it is strongly recommended that you have your application complete by February 15th for consideration.
We require three letters of reference to accompany all new applications, although these may be submitted after the application itself. These references should know you well enough to reflect on your character, personality, and commitment (in some regard), and they should not be family members. At least one of your references should be from a teacher in the school you are currently attending, or last attended. Below are the options in which letters and transcripts can be sent to us:
Email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Fax to: 1-203-255-0675
Hard copies can be mailed to:
Great Books Summer Program
PO Box 743
Fairfield, CT 06824
Attn: Summer Employment
If you would like additional information about either position or our program, e-mail us at email@example.com.
You can reach us by phone during normal business hours (9:00 am—5:30 PM EST, Monday-Friday) at 203.612.9470.